Image via Unsplash
Burglary rates in the United States are dropping each year. This trend is primarily due to affordable, cutting-edge home security technology and a growing awareness of simple practices that deter criminals from attempting a break-in. Nonetheless, a burglary still happens every 30 seconds, according to FBI statistics.
If you’re hoping to add layers of protection to your property and household, it’s essential to find suitable products and strategies that won’t break the bank. Not to worry—the National Emergency Planning and Training Association, LLC (NEPTA) has listed 14 excellent ideas for keeping your family safe and healthy!
Let’s start with a few types of products worth investing in. These are affordable purchases, and the peace of mind they can provide is priceless!
- Research complete DIY smart home security systems by SimpliSafe, Ring, and Adobe. These systems come with everything you need for home security, and you can install them yourself!
- Consider adding a doorbell camera from Ring, Nest, or Arlo that will enable you always to know who is on your doorstep.
- Invest in a security bar for your sliding patio door to help prevent break-ins.
- Install motion sensor lights to illuminate your landscape, which can go a long way in deterring burgers.
Simple Safety Strategies
Along with finding budget-friendly products, consider these practical tips for keeping your property and household secure:
- Regularly declutter and deep clean your home to reduce stress and minimize allergens.
- Remove physical hazards like clutter and poisonous plants from the interior and exterior of your home.
- When going out of town, lock your doors and windows, keep a vehicle in your driveway, and ask a neighbor to check on your property to reduce the likelihood of a break-in.
- Keep your smoke/carbon monoxide alarms in working order, and follow other essential steps to protect your property and household from fires.
Bigger Safety Projects
If you have an older home, it may be necessary to undertake some renovation projects to ensure your family’s safety.
- Be mindful of potential asbestos-laden materials in your home and how to deal with them.
- Depending on the year your home was built, it may be likely that the paint used contains lead.
- If you need to take on renovations to deal with these or other safety hazards, explore what refinance options you have available to help pay for the expenses.
Allergy-Specific Tips for Kids
If your child has food allergies, consider these simple practices for keeping them healthy at home and in everyday life:
- Explore new, allergy-friendly recipes to make at home.
- Make sure all of your child’s teachers, coaches, nurses, and other supervising adults are aware of your child’s allergies.
- Ensure your child’s support team understands what to do if your child has an allergic reaction.
We all want our families to stay safe and healthy at home. And these days, it’s easier than ever to make that happen without spending a ton of money. Keep the tips above in mind as you start adding layers of protection to your property and household and learn other ways to provide yourself and your family with peace of mind.
To help prepare your family in the event of disaster, visit www.neptanow.com today!